I am Amazon addict and I have Amazon prime. There are many reports that Amazon looses alot of money on Prime free shipping and I guess they are finding ways to make the money back with advertising on their packages. I just ordered Crucial 256GB mSATA SSD and this is what it came in.
Hello you sexy visitors and blog readers:
I have just moved this site to a new host and I am working out some of the bugs. I reverted back to a simpler theme for the time being. I hope this site is still usefull for all of you. Thank You, Dan Pereda
I just spent the last few hours playing with what I hoped to be an impressive, macbook pro retina display.
I am not an apple fan boy, but I admit that their hardware has been impressive and I was excited about the retina display. When i got me grubby hands on it, i was expecting to be WOWed by the display, but doing normal everyday tasks, I really couldn’t notice it. I fired up a standard macbook pro and compared them side by side. only if I was inches away from the screen could I really see any difference.
Looking at the size, The difference in thickness is not much of a change either. A couple of times I pickup the wrong machine thinking it was the other one. I had to look at the side to see if it had a rom drive to tell which one I had just picked up.
For $2200 i cannot see paying for something your not going to notice, The only reason to get the new pro is if you want the SSD, then it makes since as the base MB pro with ssd option is more expensive than the Retina one (Come on Apple, $2300 for the base with the same ssd?)
I am not sure who this new MB is for, except the people that just have to have the latest and greatest from Apple (and that is alot of people). If you are a pro(something) working for long hours and needing a high res display, you are going to be attaching a large external monitor or 2 and won’t even be using the built in display or even care about how much it weighs.
I am sure they will sell alot of them…I hope this helps you
First stop: RailsInstaller.org and pretty much that is all you need. I like a few more things.
Cygwin- Hint instill using admin rights,
Sublime text 2
Add new SSH Keys to github and bitbucket.
I think I am ready to go….. Ohhh yeah Coffee!
More posts about this laptop here, here and here.
As of 6/11/2012 8pm PST : I have only owned this Sleek Ultrabook for a few hours. This post will be updated as I go and uses this machine.
- FAST. I have a Desktop with an SSD, this still blows that out of the water
- Sexy, It looks really cool
- Thin and Light.
- Doesn’t get hot
- Quiet (no fan or HDD sound)
- Loud speakers (but tinny sound)
- Super fast start up
- USB Power even when off (you must turn this on)
- Small and light power supply
- USB 3. data transfer to 5400 rpm Sata HD was 200 Mb/sec
- Speakers sound “tinny” but they are loud.
- Power brick gets hot
- Body and keyboard shows smudges
- Left clicking the trackpad is a little wonky
- Not a problem for me but the keyboard keys have a very short throw.
- HDMI to VGA adaptor is not included and is expensive $50.
- SD data transfer speeds: From SD car to internal SSD was max about 19 MB per sec
- SD transfer to external USB3 hard drive about 9 MB per sec.
I have been drooling over a new laptop for almost 2 years now. Ever since my screen broke on my Acer 5610z. I have alsways had a work laptop to hold me over, so I was waiting till I found something I really liked. I knew i wanted something thin, light and powerful. I bought a 13″ Mac Book Air about 6 months ago and promtly returned it 3 days later. It was sexy machine, but not up be a real work horse. I almost bought the HP folio 13 about 5 times, but I waited.
When I saw this Samsung Series 9 NP900X4B sitting in Best Buy today, It had everything I was looking for and I jumped on it. WOW it is fast, thin and light ohhh and it is a sexy piece of hardware.
Update: I have had to do 4 system updates now.
More reviews to come as I get more time with it. First step removing the bloatware.
I have had a 10″ Viewsonic G-tab for about a year and I also have a 7″ Barnes and Noble Nook Tablet for about 4 months. When it comes down to choosing, you have to first decode what your going to use it for.
There are literally dozens of Tablets to choose from.
Do you need tablet?:
While alot of people think they need a tablet, they soon find out that it becomes a paper weight that collects dust. Here are some ideas where I see people actually use their tablet
Uses of a tablet:
- Kids toy-The people I see getting the most use out of a tablet are kids, tons of good stuff to keep kids entertains and educated. The down fall is the pricier tablets could get ruined.
- Laptop replacement– If all you do is very light email, facebook, and some minor web browsing, then you may be able to get away from having a laptop. If this is what your thinking of, and 10″ tablet is a must.
- TV browsing tool– I hear alot of people only pick-up and blow the dust off thier tablet is when they are sitting in front of the boob tube. I find my self only using my tablet at home when I am in front of the TV or on the throne.
- Travel companion– This is the main reason I have a tablet, I travel alot and I want something easy and light to drag on the plane with me, carry alot of movies, audio, and books, and have a killer battery life.
Tablets made Obsolete:
I could be wrong, but for most people I think tablets are going to obsolete soon or just merged with ultrabooks. The one thing I hate, is that I still have to carry a laptop and a tablet. With the arrival of the new 2nd gen Ultrabooks and the trend of bigger Cell Phones, I soon see myself only carrying a cell and an ultrabook. The almost 5′ display on most newer cell phones is plenty big for watching a tv episode on a plane and the ultrabook is about the same size and wight of a 10″ tablet when you really need to get some work done.
I have upgraded my wine making setup.
How long would it take you to spend $1,000,000,000?
If you spent a thousand dollars an hour ($1,000).
That is 24 thousand dollars a day ($24,000).
That is over 8,7 million dollars a year ($8,760,000)
It would still take you longer than you will live.
It would take 114.16 years.
That is a long time, long, long, time